SEAL OF BILITERACY ~ Attention Class of 2019!
SEAL OF BILITERACY
Attention Class of 2019!
Parents and Students of Randolph High School
For the first time in Massachusetts you can earn a Massachusetts Seal of Biliteracy, which recognizes students who can speak, listen, read, and write in English and a language other than English. By offering the Seal of Biliteracy, we hope to honor the bilingual student community of Randolph High School and encourage more students to pursue bilingualism.
The purposes of the State Seal of Biliteracy are to:
- Encourage students to study and master languages;
- Certify attainment of biliteracy skills;
- Provide employers with a method of identifying people with language and biliteracy skills;
- Provide universities with a method to recognize and give credit to applicants for the attainment of high-level skills in languages;
- Prepare students with skills that will benefit them in the labor market and the global society; and
- Strengthen intergroup communication and honor the multiple cultures and languages in the community.
To earn the Seal of Biliteracy, students must meet the ELA graduation requirements (MCAS 240 +, 260+ for Seal with Distinction), as well as demonstrate proficiency in a partner language. (languages available: Arabic, Chinese, Mandarin, French, Hindi, Italian, German, Hebrew, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Korean, Polish)
When a student meets the criteria to be awarded the MA Seal of Biliteracy, an official state insignia is affixed to his/her high school diploma and transcript.
If you are interested, please submit the application to the main office April 8, 2019.
TEST ADMINISTRATION DATES: April 16th, 9:00 AM, OR May 10, at 11:30 AM. Test takes approx. 2 hours. Location: RHS Library.
One language test is free of charge for any interested seniors. Additional languages assessments will be $17.00