Randolph High School
2020-2021 School Year
EXTRA CREDIT OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL RHS STUDENTS Grades 9-12
Read any grade-level/appropriate text by the approved author listed below and complete one of the project options to earn an extra credit test grade for Term 1 and start the 2020-2021 school year off strong!
RHS Summer Reading Google Classroom Code: 2tdw2n7
How do I begin my summer reading work?
- Select and read a book you have not read before from the approved author’s summer reading list. You may read any book written by one of these authors (fiction & nonfiction).
- Select and create a project from the list below..
- Post your project in the RHS Summer Reading Google Classroom under the teacher’s name who you will have for English next year. You may post anytime throughout the summer through Tuesday, September 8, 2020
What are my project options?
- Alternate Ending: Write an alternate ending to the book. Try to maintain consistency with the author's style. You must actually write the ending, not just describe it. See project details in Google Classroom.
- Tissue Book Box: Create a visual representation of your summer reading book that you will present in the form of a tissue box (we can stockpile the tissues and use them later on in the year when we run out!) See project details in Google Classroom.
- Movie Trailer: Create a movie trailer to showcase your book and encourage others to read it. It should be 3-5 minutes in length and should accurately depict the main actions and characters of the book. Your project must show ANALYSIS of the book, not just summary. See project details in Google Classroom.
- Podcast: Create a podcast that includes multiple interviews with characters that address the various subjects explored in your book. Include at least 3 interviews. Your project must show ANALYSIS of the book, not just summary. See project details in Google Classroom.
- Social Justice Mini Documentary: Create a 3-5 minute mini documentary on Adobe Spark or other video platform in which you address the controversial issue or topic present in your book. Your video should further the author’s message and inform your audience on the issue. See project details in Google Classroom.
NOTE TO PARENTS & GUARDIANS:
The list of approved authors comes from several credible Young Adult book lists and local library and school recommendations. If you have concerns about appropriateness please email
Ms. Rigali @ email@example.com and we can find a great book for your son or daughter to read!
Approved Contemporary Authors List
Approved Classic Authors List
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Laurie Halse Anderson
Orson Scott Card
Tiffany D. Jackson
Karen M. McManus
Walter Dean Myers
Preston & Child
Benjamin Alire Saenz
Miguel de Cervantes
James Fenimore Cooper
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Zora Neale Hurston
Maxine Hong Kingston
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
George Bernard Shaw
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Henry David Thoreau